[Grassroots-l] Grassroots support team

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Jan 13 12:36:54 EST 2008

Hi, Christine! Copied to the grassroots list in case others have the
same question.

There are some resources on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support about
getting involved. The grassroots "support team" is just community
members who help out other community members - totally informal, no need
to sign up, just join the conversation and start asking and answering
questions as best you can.

Easiest ways to get involved:

* Go to http://olpc.osuosl.org/chat (or channel #olpc-help at
irc.freenode.net - same thing) and answer questions that pop up

* Go to http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/ and answer questions that haven't
been taken yet

* Clean up wiki pages at wiki.laptop.org

listen for questions and discussions there and answer what you can.

* Think of something you'd like to be able to do related to OLPC, do it
(the #olpc-help channel can give you a hand if you get stuck) and write
or revise documentation as you go along.

If you feel comfortable helping out there and want to make a bigger time
commitment (we meet every weekend via phone conference for ~1.5 hours,
each volunteer probably chips in between 4-40 hours a week, and you get
to help man the phone help lines, and a lot more email traffic, so it
*is* a pretty big timesink) we'd love to have you join the support-gang.

There are a lot of other non-support opportunities listed at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Participate, which is undergoing an update at
the moment.

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me or any other folks in
support-gang if you have any more questions.

-Mel