[Grassroots-l] Your voice in EU website and OLPC

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Mon Feb 25 11:35:41 EST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Monday 25 February 2008 14:33, Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>> right! but instead of having a horizontal approach where everybody
>> feels comfortable and *asked* if he/she wants things in a certain
>> way, people here already decided to go their own way
>> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/103986
>
> As said on the german list already, this event was prepared in the
> open on
> this mailinglist, discussed in accounced IRC meetings (with public
> logs) with
> summaries posted on this list and the event was even announced on
> devel at lists.laptop.org. So you can hardly claim "you were not asked".

that is *exactly* the problem I have with tyranny of structurelessness.

> The slides were also announced in the IRC meeting before FOSDEM, see
> http://meetbot.debian.net/meetbot/olpc-europe.log.
> 20080221_1704.html for the
> link.

"it was announced" but nobody was asked. You should go around and ask
each participant for input *actively*

Guys, no! No way that I am going to be part of *this* "OLPC_europe".
I believe we need a different one (if at all).

>> <no sarcasm>I would prefer if this would have been done more
>> professionally. Even the announcement about OLPC Germany <> OLPC
>> Deutschland is wrong</>
>
> Newsflash: Journalists make mistakes.
>
> We have now send a mail pointing out the error to heise.de, and the
> article
> has been corrected.

to bad for not discussing things beforehand with the relevant
stakeholders.

a.