[Grassroots-l] Your voice in EU website and OLPC

Alexander Todorov alexx.todorov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 03:58:31 EST 2008

Aaron Kaplan wrote:

> hmm... why there? I don't quite dig it, sorry.

OK, I'll try to explain. Here's my view:
at the given website EU citizens can give their opinion about different topics.
I don't know how popular is the website but it's supposed to reach broader
audience. We can use this to reach to these people and ask them about OLPC.
Do they support it, do they think it has its place in Europe or is only for 3rd
world countries, etc, etc.
Not only people reading the Education category will see the poll but everybody
who gets to the main page and scrolls down a bit. All active topics are
currently shown on the main page so there's the possibility that someone who is
active in the Ecology environment will find the OLPC topics.

Why to do this:
- - I often hit the opinion that OLPC is only for 3rd world countries (e.g.
developing ones) and it's not suitable for Europe. After I point people to the
OLPC Europe page and all the countries (developed ones) listed there people
start changing their mind. The website is merely a platform for discussions and
we can use it to get an idea what is the attitude to the project in general.

- - As to my knowledge most of the people interested in OLPC are software
developers. With a project having so much technology innovations it's hard to
reach to non-tech people.

> On Feb 24, 2008, at 7:44 PM, Alexander Todorov wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I've just found the Your Voice website:
> http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/index.htm
>
> This is supposed to be a place where EU citizens can discuss different
> topics
> regarding their future and vote/submit in polls. Still I haven't found
> how to
> add a poll on the site but there should be a way.
>
> We can add an OLPC entry under Education and ask people what they
> think about
> the project. We'll find what is the public support for OLPC and how
> people feel
> about its future in Europe.
>
>> they will say "great! do 'it'". Whatever 'it' means. But that will be it.

Well they may say "don't do it" and then what? Do you think a general discussion
is useless? And why would you think that?

I hope I made it more clear. If any questions or comments please shoot.

Thanks,
Alexander.