[Grassroots-l] OLPC/XO event for Cambridge Science Festival

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Mon Feb 4 22:18:02 EST 2008

Hello Edward,

A pleasure to hear about your idea.  Mel Chua and Nikki Lee, who
helped organize the first Game Jam at Olin last summer, hail from just
a short ways away, and can help find you a veteran Jam organizer.  I
plan to make it myself.

We can definitely find you facilitators familiar with working with
children (we can ask through the harvard ed school as well, for
completeness), as well as a jambox of 5+ XOs.  As for Pcs with
emulators -- will this be hosted near an existing computer lab?  we
could install sugar on a whole network of machines.

Considering the number of G1G1 recipients around, it might be that
many more than 2 groups want to break out after the introductory
sessions; how far out do you normally solicit attendance figures?
Perhaps we could have a preliminary event for would-be session leaders
and helpers; so that there are 6 or 8 people available to run their
own sessions should the need arise (and just help out, otherwise...
and be ready for the next time a Jam approaches).

Finally, do you mind if I copy our grassroots mailing list on this
thread?  I'd like to get wider interest underway; and to inspire
groups in other regions to try the same.

Best,
SJ
--
+1 617 529 4266