[Grassroots-l] Grassroots Digest, Vol 13, Issue 7

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 03:45:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 03:34 -0400, grassroots-request at lists.laptop.org
wrote:
> Web-based
> http://project.net/ (Java based)
> http://dotproject.net/ (PHP/MySQL)
> http://www.redmine.org/ (Ruby on Rails)
> http://www.projectpier.org/ (time management is rudimentary)

We use redmine for OLE Nepal and I find it quite useful but it lacks the
ability to effectively track resources. I like it much,much better than
trac for managing individual software projects.

check it out at:
http://redmine.olenepal.org

I will definitely check out project.net. I find dotproject cumbersome

> Offline/client based
> http://openproj.org/ (Java based)
> http://www.openworkbench.org/ (Windows-based)
> http://ganttproject.biz/ (has WebDAV-based group feature)

I find the offline clients pretty useless myself

> We use dotProject and Project.net on campus. In my opinion (I teach IT
> Project Management) two very critical "features" of PM are the ability
> to track resources (time, people, money, etc) and reorganize tasks based
> on contingencies (dependency management).

> Trac has a Gantt module, but its not very featureful...at least it
> wasn't when we evaluated it in Spring semester.
> http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/GanttPlugin

I find Trac pretty useless for project management