[Grassroots-l] OT: 'International Wig Out' grassroots effort

Ixo X oxI ixo at myna.ws
Wed Apr 16 23:04:18 EDT 2008

| ok, so this is slightly [O]ff [T]opic, but it's a local grassroots effort
to spread awareness |
|  and have some fun just for the cause of being silly and laugh at
ourselves. :)        |
|  If you are too serious with life, please ignore this message .. Tanx,-iXo

How would you like to 'Wig Out" in your local community ? :)

Last year, in the Pacific Northwest, Bellingham, Washington state in United
States.
.... several locals decided to move beyond "The City of Subdued Excitement"
with something
a bit different. Celebrating to have fun, for the sake of being silly and
having some great laughs.

For video of last year's event: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-fWYaA3pM3I

Several hundred hundred people turned up last year, to wear their 'fun' wigs
at work, at school, and around town.
Cumulating in a huge dance and 'cat-walk' party at our world famous
American Museum of Radio and Electricy (AMRE) [1]

This year, the group has gotten a financial grant from the City of
Bellingham, to help make the celebration even bigger !
And we are pushing even further, to make it an INTERNATIONAL event.

Looking to collect pictures and hear stories about other grassroot
communities around the global
   also celebrating 'Wig Out Day" (May 23 2008).

With the enclosed picture, you can also see that the OLPC XO Laptop has
gotten into the action,
 with being the official note taking and email computer for the committee.
:-)
(The guy in the wig, might seem familiar. *grin* )

Below is also our official 'press release' talking about the event.  But
there's even more details on our websites.
  http://TheWigOut.com <http://thewigout.com/>
http://thewigout.wordpress.com/1/about/  http://www.myspace.com/thewigout

&:-)

-Ixo/iain

p.s. Disclaimer: I'm on the Wig Out committee this year. :)  For those who
can't see the attachment, also available here:
   http://thewigout.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/semilla_iain.jpg

Notes:
[1] AMRE: http://www.amre.us/site/exhibits.html  and live old-time radio
broadcast: http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?s=kmre

Bellingham, WA, April 12, 2008 (BHAM) --  Wig out, planet Earth !   May 23rd
is the first international Wig Out Day.

Wig Out Day, described as Halloween with better weather, falls on the Friday
before Memorial Day. The day is a celebration of wigs with one sole purpose:
to have fun. Whether it's a flirty flip, a manly mullet, or a classic
rainbow afro, a wig adds mystery and excitement to an otherwise ordinary
day.

Wig Out Day was conceived in 2006 in a hot tub in Bellingham, Wash., by
sisters Kate and Alice Clark. Last May hundreds of Hamsters, as Bellingham
residents are known, went about their daily business wearing wigs and then
gathered downtown for a promenade and party. This year, organizers hope to
inspire communities everywhere to get their wig on.  Share pictures and
stories of your own local 'wig out' events with the online blog, videos, and
pictures !

This year's Wig Out Day is on May 23rd, 2008. For more information, see
www.myspace.com/thewigout.

###

Online Press Room: www.propagandaink.com/wigout.html

Media contacts: