[Grassroots-l] West Indies activity

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri Nov 30 18:43:30 EST 2007

The proprietor of waveplace, Timothy Falconer, posts on the  olpc-open
list.  The only thing I know about his project is what I read on his
website.  But others with a specific interest should probably contact him.
It does look like a cool project.  I discovered it in my quest to learn
squeak.

My own project is to place my 4 g1g1 laptops as an activity center  in a
kindergarten taught by my daughter, a Teach for America corps member in the
South Bronx.  I am questing for age appropriate activities, especially
oriented to emerging English language literacy to package as a tailored
bundle for this placement.

In the past I supported technology in and out of the classroom as a parent
in a constructivist charter school.  These laptops seem (in principal) to
solve several of the problems I saw with using tech in that context.  This
was in the late 90s.  In that context the school had a few PowerPC Mac
desktops in each classroom.  (I am amused by suggestions I have seen that
underdeveloped countries could just use random discarded computers more
economically than the robust XO, designed to be compact, battery operated,
and easily refreshed.  They should try supporting disparate computers in a
school even with a motivated team of Silicon Valley engineer parents to do
it before suggesting this!)

Carol Lerche