[Grassroots-l] weekly OLPC.at status report #3

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sun Nov 11 21:44:18 EST 2007

Note: please send your own weekly reports to this mailing list!
It would be very interesting what you / your group has managed to do
in this week.

Ok, here is the Austrian report

1. Ministry of education
2. Germany's OLPC group
3. Activity/Sugar handbook
4. Dr. Lozanov's DE-suggestobpaedia ;-)
5. presswork preview
6. we need more dev laptops

1. Ministry of education
========================

We had another talk with the Austrian ministry of education
concerning how the Austrian pilot can and how it should be handled.
Just one comment: getting there... be patient .

2. Germany's OLPC group
========================

We had some talks with Bert Freudenberg, Joachim Wedekind, Yokoy
about the founding of a german OLPC grassroots group.
Seems like we were able to pull something off... Germany, now it is
your turn! ;-) Create an e.V. or so hm?

3. Activity / Sugar handbook
========================
We all met on Saturday on our almost weekly jam session night.
Christoph and Daja (Daniel Jahre) were continuing to write on the
Activity / Sugar handbook. The others were busy planning, hacking on
the a very nice embedded board (more about that later when it is
ready), upgrading the XOs, coding , etc.
Christoph got SIM City running: http://christoph-d.blogspot.com/
2007/11/simcity-running-on-olpc-x0.html
He also tested and documented the current state of video streaming:
http://christoph-d.blogspot.com/2007/11/some-more-xo-testing.html

4. Dr. Lozanov's DEsuggestopaedia ;-)
========================
Tano and /me went to Dr. Lozanov. He was one of the most famous
bulgarian educators. Dr. Lozanov invented superlearning, a method
which enables you to learn languages quicker. We wanted to talk with
him if he could imagine some sort of audio .ogg files on the XO for
language learning. But alas! he was not here. A big fat sign on his
door showed us that he was not interested in his own suggestopaedia
method. It read "Dr. Lozanov. International Institute for
DEsuggestopaedia" wow!

5. Press preview
Tomorrow we will meet with FM4 (most famous youth radio station
in .at) and the day after with ORF konkret (TV).

6. we need more dev laptops
Lindsay , Walter, SJ? Please, in case you have a few extra C1s or
B4s... Jaume is stuck with coding XOTv. He is stuck waiting until the
other XOs are free. So we need another one or two XOs to speed up.

---
there's no place like 127.0.0.1