[Grassroots-l] Princeton student interested in OLPC involvement next year

Dan Lieber lieberty at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 17:49:24 EST 2007

Dear Volunteers and Staff of OLPC,

This is Danny Lieber. I'm a senior at Princeton University
majoring in Molecular Biology. I am graduating in June 2008 and am very much
interested in either working for -- or partnering with -- OLPC next year after
my graduation.

Specifically, I am interested in acting as an observer, coordinator,
and consultant at an OLPC pilot school in order to analyze and improve the
reception of the laptops by the students and teachers at the test sites. This
would entail understanding the students’ relationship with the technology by
determining the extent to which physical components and programs of the laptop
are easy to use, helpful, used in practice, and robust to malfunction or errors.
This information-- of what works and what does not -- would be very helpful, if
not crucial, in expanding the impact of OLPC on underprivileged students around
the world. In addition to providing information, I hope to work as a liaison between
engineers in OLPC and teachers at the test sites in order to bring concrete
improvements to the program.

I speak English fluently and thus prefer to be in a location
in which English is the main language of instruction. I also speak a little Spanish
(enough to get around, but no more). Other than those constraints, I am completely
flexible in terms of geographic location.

In terms of funding, I am hoping to get a fellowship from Princeton that would cover my living and travel expenses.
So for now, I’m operating under the assumption that I will receive outside
funding. Funding of course is a catch-22: you need money to do a project, but
you need a project to get the funding. This implies that the more concrete my
plans, the better the chances that I will receive the funding to implement this
proposed project for OLPC. Therefore, the more I talk to people currently
involved in OLPC, the better the chance that I will bring outside funding to
the organization.

To find out a little more about me and my background, my CV
can be found here: http://www.princeton.edu/~dlieber/index2.htm

If you are interested in contacting me, my email is dlieber at princeton.edu.
You can also find my OLPC Wiki page here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_talk:Dlieber.

Thanks so much for your interest,