[OLPC-Games] Play Go issues for laptop

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 03:40:12 EDT 2008

On Thursday 23 October 2008 05:15:36 you wrote:
> I sent this message last week, but it came back with a message that it
> needed moderation (I guess because I included a screen shot).  It
> appears to have never been posted to the list, so here it is again
> without the image:
>
> Hi Andres,

Hi!

> I spent a good deal of time playing with the program and overall was
> quite impressed!  It looks great, and plays fairly well.  There are
> many little problems, and a couple of major ones.  The scoring engine
> got the wrong result on every game I played, there are clearly some
> mistaken instructions in the module itself.  Should I post the
> problems to this list or would it be better to talk about them on the
> phone, or during a game on KGS?  This week is looking pretty busy for
> me, so it would have to be next week for the latter.  I am on mountain
> time in the US, where are you?

  Thanks! I wonder how the scoring engine is failing. What it does is take
your territories, subtract the prisoners your enemy has taken, and if you're
White add 5.5 komi. The scores are currently displaying as integers, this is
stupid and I need to fix it.

  Please post any problems you find :). I'm from Uruguay, so your phone bill is
going to be an issue =P.

> Also, I am unable to right click in the software.  I think the
> emulation doesn't recognize my mouse.  Option click or command click
> don't trigger it either.  This means I can't access the jabber online
> play option you were mentioning.

  Right clicking is not necessary, if you just leave the mouse over what
you're trying to "right-click" on for a few seconds, it will have the same
effect.

> When I browse the web, sites are enlarged to the wrong screen
> resolution.  As a result, fonts are huge, and you can only see the top
> left corner of a web site, even one that is at 800x600.  Is there a
> way to control this in the program, or from outside of it?  Is it
> doing this because I am on a Mac and using an emulator?  I attach a
> screen shot of our Tiger's Mouth site so you can see the problem.

I believe this is a problem with the emulator. Maybe this can help you
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Quick_Start/Mac and more
specifically this:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Help_and_tips#Font_Size_correction

If that doesn't work, you can at least reduce the font size in Browse in the
"View" Menu, or by pressing Ctrl+-.

Cheers!

--
  -Andrés