[OLPC-Games] [OLPC-GSoC] Clarification of Board/Card gameproject

Mike Hahn mike at treenimation.net
Wed Mar 26 20:53:09 EDT 2008

Hi Luke,

What I had in mind was a sort of "Delphi for Dummies" (a tool, not a
book) for XO users (I have been programming in Delphi for over 11
years). I find that almost all GUI software development tools are hard
to learn. Even Python for Windows was mystifying to me, at first. But
Treescript is designed to have a gentler learning curve. For more info,
please visit http://www.treenimation.net and click on "TIDE Design
Specs" (under Links).

Treescript has 4 features making it easy to learn: 1) dual
binary-operator syntax modes (prefix/infix), defaults to prefix; 2)
hierarchical, context-sensitive code menus, accessed by pressing
question mark (?); 3) dual code-entry modes (structure/free-form),
defaults to structure; 4) reusable board game components, enabling
non-programmers to create games without coding.

Of course Treenimation is highly experimental, and its rather lofty goal
of making the programming of board games accessible to both
non-programmers and novice programmers alike might well prove difficult
to attain. But I feel that I must make the attempt, having spent the
better part of a decade (working sporadically) on designing
Treenimation.

I'm not working on this alone; my partner, Jake Beard, is helping me
develop the version of Treenimation that runs in a web browser (that
version will not be written in Python). So that's the Treenimation
Project in a nutshell.

Regards,
Mike