[OLPC-Games] Micropolis source code release!

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird at hivemind.net
Mon Jan 14 02:54:25 EST 2008

Bloody genius Don !

:-D

I spent my holiday working on a muchly simplified Forth that compiles
down to Python bytecode as the back-end for a visual programming
language for xobots - didn't get nearly as far as I wanted thanks to a
crashing hard drive and a generally unusually hectic December *twitch*
*twitch* but I reckon I'm about half-way through and - so far - the idea
is proving workable - workload willing I hope to have something to share
by the end of January. :)

The idea is basically that this is a way for the kids to be able to use
the system either from the Python or the Forth-ish but in a -
so-to-speak - completely native way where the library environment
they're used to from the one is transparently accessible from the other
and any code they wrote in the one is directly accessible from the other
without the need for kids to have to generate bindings for their code.

Some random questions if I may ?

  * Do you have any sample code for the Micropolis source ?

  * How large can the playing field get on the OLPC before the tile
engine starts freaking out ?

  * Can tiles contain tiles ?

  * Is this aversion to C++ just a slashdot thing or is it American ?

  * *grin* -> _Completely_ unrelated -> I've been offered some part-time
contract work here in ZA doing GPS-ish stuff using xpcom and xulrunner
and I see you're doing similar work -> is that particular combination of
problem&tool a pain or a joy for you ?

Tx!

  - a