[OLPC-Games] (no subject)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 13:55:05 EST 2008

Hey Zach,

Just wanted to privately respond to your email- sounds like some really cool
stuff!  I have been working on getting optimized graphics running on the XO,
and have made some good progress but haven't yet had a chance to document my
results on the wiki.

I recently went through the process of taking an existing C++ SDL
application, porting it to the OLPCGames framework, and then finally to GTK.

I would probably recommend against the OLPCGames framework unless you are
doing standard "games", ie full screen and very limited UI.  OLPCGames is
based on PyGame, which is based on SDL, which is in turn based on drawing to
GTK Images, so it's much simpler and just as efficient to just work with the
GTK directly unless you really need the SDL 2D blitting functions etc.
Using GTK directly also makes it that much easier to put in UI widgets when
needed.  There is no way to get direct "framebuffer" access, e.g. map the
video memory framebuffer into your process address space, that I am yet
aware of - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and tell me how to
do it too! :)

Another note is that it's really worthwhile to build Activities around
Python if at all possible.  While it's possible to interact with the Sugar
UI from C++, it's much much harder.  My approach was to keep the low level
drawing routines, vector and matrix classes, etc in C++ and expose them to
Python using SWIG (www.swig.org).  The application logic, Sugar interaction
(journal, mesh networking, webcam interaction, UI) are all in Python/PyGTK.

Regarding rendering, the XO screen is 1200x800 16bit color (r5g6b5 format)
which is pretty high resolution for realtime work given the processor
speed.  I have had good luck with working in 1/2 res (600x400) 32bit
a8r8g8b8 color buffers, and then using an optimized upscale / format
conversion with dirty rectangle management to display the images.

Best regards,

Wade