[OLPC-Games] (no subject)

zach lieberman zach at eyebeam.org
Mon Jan 7 10:48:19 EST 2008

Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself to this group -  I am an artist / researcher
based in new york.   I am currently a research fellow at a place called
eyebeam (eyebeam.org) and we have just received several OLPC laptops, so I am
starting to take a look developing content for them.

to give you a background on myself, I make art projects like:

tmema.org/mis
tmema.org/messa
thesystemis.com/drawnInstallation
thesystemis.com/motionscapes
www.theremediproject.com/projects/issue12/systemisgesture/

and I am also part of a project called openframeworks
(openframeworks.cc/about) which is cross platform (mac, pc, linux) c++ library
that wraps opengl / quicktime / freetype / rtAudio / freeImage, etc.  It's a
more artistic flavored version of a toolkits like OGRE, SDL, etc, and we have
a pretty good community of people making things with it.   some cool OF
projects include:

http://csugrue.com/delicateBoundaries/
http://muonics.net/blog/index.php?postid=15

Anyway, I will be taking a look at some of the issues with getting OF to run
on OLPC, including perhaps alternatives to opengl (for graphics) such as
rendering in cairo, as well as interfacing with hardware.  There are several
folks here at eyebeam and in new york who are interested in this, so we will
try to create a wiki page and post progress.  Out first steps might be very
basic, but we have some ideas for games / experiments that would use the
hardware capabilities of the OLPC to create playful interactions.   it will be
a good challenge for OF to get it up and running on OLPC too, so I am excited.

Anyone who is in new york is welcome to get in touch with me offlist and come
through eyebeam (we've already had MIT folks come for an openframeworks
workshop).  We will likely have OLPC days here where we can meet and develop
demo apps, etc, and it would be good to meet other developers face to face.

Take care!!
zach