[OLPC-Games] Wordsmith ( Scrabble ) :GSoC application

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 16:34:26 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Aditya Vishwakarma
<adi.vishwakarma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scrabble implementation in arabic
> http://www.gtoal.com/wordgames/details/arabic/
>
> other foreign language tilesets
> http://www.gtoal.com/wordgames/index.html#foreignscrab

Just the thing. This list comes down to languages written in English,
Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic alphabets. I see that European
language tile sets omit accents.

I see that there is also Armenian Scrabble and Georgian Scrabble. This
makes sense, because these are simple alphabets with no joining of
letters.

The numerous languages written in Cyrillic and Arabic alphabets all
have slightly different sets of letters, and different letter
distributions. Only Arabic and Russian are supported, and not, for
example, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Mongolian and others for Cyrillic, or
Urdu, Farsi, Pashto and others for Arabic.

The nine writing systems of India, plus Burmese, Thai, Lao, Sinhalese,
Tibetan, Korean Hangeul, and Mongolian Traditional, all have complex
combing and/or stacking rules. Korean can be written linearly, as is
traditional in telegrams, but there appears to be no Korean Scrabble.

> However,  i am yet to find any implementation of scrabble in Hindi. I think
> Hindi would be a too complicated to implement but would ask some hindi
> professors i know for confirmations.

Google finds nothing.

--
Edward Cherlin