[OLPC-Games] Wordsmith ( Scrabble ) :GSoC application

Aditya Vishwakarma adi.vishwakarma at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 13:35:31 EDT 2008

Scrabble implementation in arabic
http://www.gtoal.com/wordgames/details/arabic/

other foreign language tilesets
http://www.gtoal.com/wordgames/index.html#foreignscrab

However,  i am yet to find any implementation of scrabble in Hindi. I think
Hindi would be a too complicated to implement but would ask some hindi
professors i know for confirmations.

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritiki at uoregon.edu>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:36:14PM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Aditya Vishwakarma

> Delhi.
> >  > >
> >  > > I am working on making a Scrabble game as a GSoC project called
> Wordsmith.
> >  > > The wiki page is located here -
> >  > > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wordsmith(scrabble)<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wordsmith%28scrabble%29>
> >  >
> >  > Does Scrabble exist in Hindi or any other language of India?
> >
> >  Sure.
> >
> >  Either you place one syllable per square or separate the consonants and
> vowels
> >  into disjoint glyphs (probably looks funny but remains readable).
>
> That sounds like you're making it up, since you say "probably looks
> funny". You couldn't make a set with enough tiles to hold the several
> hundred possible syllables, and the phonology doesn't work to combine
> random syllables into words of any length. Hindi in separated letters
> would look more than funny.
>
> होली would end up looking like ह  ो ल  ी, or
>>>>>
> I'm asking whether anybody has _seen_ Scrabble in an Indian language.
>
> >  > I know
> >  > how we could support Scrabble in any linear alphabetic writing such
> as
> >  > Cyrillic alphabet, but I have trouble imagining it in Arabic,
> Chinese,
> >  > Amharic, or Japanese kana.
> >
> >  I don't know what you would do with Chinese and Japanese kana.
>
> --
> Edward Cherlin
> End Poverty at a Profit by teaching children business
> http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."--Alan Kay

Chairman, CSI NSIT Students Branch | http://societies.nsitonline.in/csi
Site Administrator | NSITonline Webteam | http://www.nsitonline.in
Undergraduate Student, IT Department NSIT, Delhi University, India
Contact:+91 9899232177
skype id : aditya.vishwakarma