[OLPC-Games] Call for volunteers from the gaming industry

Clare Richardson clare at girlstart.org
Mon Nov 5 15:47:22 EST 2007

Girlstart is looking for professionals in game development to volunteer
for a one-time ad hoc advisory committee to guide us as we develop our
Project IT Girl* curriculum for the spring semester. Specifically,
Girlstart is looking for folks with project management experience that
can help us apply some of the principles that are used in the for-profit
or open source gaming industry to our non-profit program. We need help
defining milestones for individual game designs, choosing a versioning
system, creating test plans, and training our classroom leaders to
manage all this coding. Project management in our classrooms will be a
bit different from traditional software, since girls are not working in
teams on one game but instead supporting each other as they develop
their own game individually.

Committee members will participate in one working lunch on Wednesday,
November 14th from 11:30-1pm and then be available for technical
assistance via email or phone over the next few months. The total time
commitment is < 3 hours total.

If you're interested in volunteering your expertise for this ad hoc
committee, please RSVP to Audrey Warren at audrey at girlstart.org.
Support is available for calling into the meeting from a remote
location.  Please forward to others you think may be interested!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Project IT Girl (http://www.girlstart.org/itgirl) is a Girlstart
program that teaches 60 high school girls throughout Austin how they can
change the world by using Information Technology. This year, Project IT
Girls are learning basic programming concepts through weekly lessons on
the Python programming language. The girls are designing, programming,
and marketing their own educational games, and the top game designs will
be submitted to the One Laptop Per Child Program (http://laptop.org/
<http://laptop.org/> ) for inclusion on their ultra-low-cost teaching
laptop for children in developing nations.

Clare Richardson
Technology and Program Coordinator
Girlstart
www.girlstart.org <http://www.girlstart.org/>