[OLPC-Games] Howto connect GTK mouse events to pygame events

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue May 29 14:26:26 EDT 2007

Le mardi 29 mai 2007 à 11:01 +0200, stas zytkiewicz a écrit :
> On 5/29/07, Noah Kantrowitz <kantrn at rpi.edu> wrote:
>
> > The API is PyGame, not SDL. The proposed alternative is to re-implement
> > the PyGame API using Cairo. This would take care of integrating things
> > like Pango and SVG rendering, which SDL lacks natively (and so does
> > PyGame). The other reason this might be a better option is that OLPC is
> > already committing to making Cairo run as as fast/effectively as it can
> > on the XO hardware. Is it really wise to divide our efforts?
> They are two different beasts, Cairo is great for SVG but horrible for anything
> animated. SDL is great for animations but lacks scaling.
> IMHO scaling and animation, especially on slower hardware, doesn't get along.
> I have 5 years of online discussion with Bruno, author of Gcompris, about
> the pro and cons of SDL (childsplay/schoolsplay) and Cairo (Gcompris).
> The conclusion was that they both have advantages and disadvantages but
> that combining the two don't result in a better end result.
> Cairo is suitable for static activities while SDL, with it's low overhead,
> is good for dynamic stuff.
>
> >I'm not
> > saying this is obviously the way to go, but it should really be answered
> > at some point soon.
> We can wait forever for an agreement that perhaps is never reached, but in the
> meantime the XO ships with SDL/pygame which takes not much space so I
> don't see why we shouldn't use it.

Well, Stas, it's always a pleasure to argue with you. In your
comparison, you miss one major point for this project: i18n.

Being based on GTK and using the GTK widget plus pango, it makes it easy
to build an outstanding application that works worldwide. On the
GCompris side, we always have preferred to support more country and more
children than to propose cute animation to a few of them. As for
supporting animation, it's nice to have some but frankly, for the kind
of application we are building, it's not a top priority.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids