[OLPC-Games] Pygame

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Sun May 13 00:35:14 EDT 2007

Julius B. Lucks wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a quick question about screen size for a pygame activity.
> Right now, I am setting the screen size with
>
> SCREENRECT = Rect(0,0,640,480)
> screen = pygame.display.set_mode(SCREENRECT.size,0)
>
> (copying the technique found in the examples/oldalien.py game in the
> pygame source).  What is the appropriate size to use for the XO?

Julius:

Stay flexible for now. We're still evaluating the performance of the
machines, and the next round of the machines will have quite a bit more
graphics performance. The full screen black and white resolution of the
XO is 1200x900, the color resolution is effectively lower, and depending
on what your game does it may have trouble rendering at full speed if
you use full frame.

So try to make a game that could use full screen if you had it, but
would be capable of being shrunk to a smaller screen if it turns out
there are performance issues. We expect to have good guidelines in place
by the Game Jam.

    Kent