[OLPC-Games] Res: Games Digest, Vol 5, Issue 12

Daniel Monteiro daniel_on_go at yahoo.com.br
Fri Jun 22 13:45:09 EDT 2007

Hi Daniel
Very tiny indeed.
We spoke before , about 4 years ago, when I translated (poorly) the SDL_Intro document to portuguese.

BZK is not using Z-Buffer as it may be not suitable for slow devices with big screens (Nokia 770);
Neither Im using  BSP , but a higly modified painter's algorithm. Its not something easy to describe , as Im still working it as my gradutation thesis.
Well..to best sumarize it: its like a portal rendering using a K-d Tree. Why not Z-Buffer? some plataforms like Symbian OS dont give me acess to a large buffer like the one needed by Z-Buffer , but only to cointainers. (well, that changed recently...but BZK is older than that and the devices that support this are the high end only)

This TinyGL maybe be a good solution for BZK on the XO indeed. although I dont really like much OpenGL and the BZK render is only  half compatible...maybe we can work on this...

About the floating point. Im about to make it only optional (activated on compile time), as the new nokia device (N800) has a good FPU too.

 []s

Daniel

Wow, that's surely a tiny world! A guy with almost the same name as
mine, that lives in the same country as me, that codes in C++ and do 3D
programming!

I only sent a message to the devel list, so I'll take the opportunity to
announce here too: I'm adapting a software renderer implementation of
OpenGL (TinyGL, by Fabrice Bellard), suitable to be run on the XO.
Currently it runs the gears demo in fullscreen (actually rendered to a
256x256 framebuffer) at 50 fps.

I hope to be able to execute my robotics simulation framework in the XO,
but there is still a lot of work to be done. You can take a look at what
I've already accomplished at:

http://www.basso.inf.br/phi/ (check the gallery, it's old but nice :)
http://www.lec.ufrgs.br/~dmbasso/phi/doku.php (last stable version)

About BZK: does it use BSP for occlusion culling? TinyGL uses a
z-buffer, but I suspect a BSP-tree would perform better. The Geode's
floating point is very fast, so BZK's fixed-point is not really an
advantage on the XO.

[]'s

Daniel