[OLPC-Games] Advice to a fledgling programmer

Joshua Minor j at lux.vu
Tue Dec 11 16:31:02 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Richard Vegh wrote:
> Can anyone offer advice on resources or books that they consider most
> useful to someone with very limited experience in programming, and
> whether this might be a good way to 'begin'?

You could run one of the latest builds in emulation and use Pippy to
get started.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Quick_Start
Basically download a disk image from here: http://dev.laptop.org/pub/
virtualbox/
and then open it in VMware Player or QEMU.

If you want to work on your native machine, this Python IDE is a nice
place to learn pygame:
http://stratolab.com/misc/makebot/

I found it quite easy to port from MakeBot to an XO Activity.

Also, this is a very gentle introduction to python:
http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/inexperienced

-josh