[OLPC-Games] Activity API

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 16:28:49 EDT 2007

Le mardi 17 avril 2007 à 08:09 +0200, stas zytkiewicz a écrit :
> On 4/17/07, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have some concern about pygame on the olpc. In fact, until know, I
> > though activities should use GTK and the hippo canvas.
> >
> > I understand pygame is more efficient to build games but it has also
> > some drawbacks:
> [..]
> > - Pygame doesn't use pango, last time I checked there was not support
> > for shaping in arabic for example (letter shape depends on the previous
> > one).
> Pango uses "fribidi" to do the RTL and shaping, there are python bindings for
> "fribidi" called "pyfribidi" which, as you know, is used by childsplay
> to provide
> RTL and shaping.
> http://pyfribidi.sourceforge.net/

I checked on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) using python-pyfribidi 0.6-2 and
childsplay 0.81.8. I am not an expert but I don't see character shaping.
In arabic, letters should be joined smoothly, I don't see it happening.
It's probably mandatory to use a sdl-pango like mentioned but I don't
see a python binding for that.

To me, that's the top issue, using pygame why not, but it cannot be at
the expense of internationalization.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids