[OLPC-Games] Activity API

bruno.coudoin at free.fr bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 08:49:05 EDT 2007

Selon stas zytkiewicz <stas.zytkiewicz at gmail.com>:
> I agree with your concerns and but childsplay/schoolsplay is based on pygame
> and it runs unchanged on OLPC with good animation speeds and sound playing.
> So I don't think it's better to port the gcompris activities to
> schoolsplay instead of trying to reinvent schoolsplay :-)

Stas, good to see you there. For your information, GCompris also run fine
unchanged on the XO, including the sound. I just did a 'yum gcompris' and
here is the result:
http://gcompris.net/incoming/gcompris_on_xo.jpg

I don't think GCompris neither Chilsplay / Schoolplay can be used unchanged
on the XO, this project is broader than both our project was and has some very
specific requirement, the first one is that Sugar is the activity launcher, and
there is no API defined to build a lot of small activities behaving more or less
the same.

I don't want to push GCompris as being the solution, it is clearly not. I just
want to share our 7 years experience to help put this project on track as
fast as possible.

Bruno.