[OLPC-Games] SDL improvements...

Ben Sawyer bsawyer at dmill.com
Sat Apr 14 04:32:50 EDT 2007

Hi Ryan,

You should definitely coordinate with Kent Quirk who is on this list
but probably hasn't woken up yet.

I know for me from what I've observed of the discussions we've had so
far that one of the issues out there is how the OLPC hardware handles
color and RGB translation to its screen in color mode.

I think also if there are ways to provide tools that might be special
to the 1200x800 b&w mode might be worth brainstorming.

In the case of color... there may be some code specific things there
that can help developers especially when they are trying to create
pixel-perfect artwork for the machines for things like interfaces, etc.

I don't have my head fully wrapped around that all but that was a low-
level issue that's come up a bit.  Another lower level point people
have talked about is the hardware scaling instructions on the AMD CPU
and what that might offer if optimized for.

There is also the input capabilities of the system with the game
keys, the extended stylus, and the USB ports which can be used for
probes, etc.

 From a Docs perspective for other developers while I understand the
sentiment is not to Fork SDL for OLPC anything you can dump into the
Wiki or post here that would be of special interest to OLPC
developers working with SDL running on the laptops be it special or
just quirky and needed to be noted would be extremely helpful.  We do
want to eventually have something of a developer doc for game
developers as things rapidly progress.

- Ben Sawyer