[Etoys] Quick testing of Etoys on Windows7

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 21:16:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 Mar 2009 8:01:39 pm Korakurider wrote:
>>     Until Windows XP/ME, one universal installation layout worked, but
>> Vista broke it. We designed installation file layout specific to Vista,
>> Installer just wanted to know whether target machine is Vista or not and
>> switch layout.
>>     (see http://languagegame.org:8080/Korakurider/2)
> Now I see the reason:
> ------
> It seldom makes problem, because "admin user" is used in typical usage.
>     Until Windows XP/ME, one universal installation layout worked, but Vista
>    broke it. We designed installation file layout specific to Vista,
>    Installer just wanted to know whether target machine is Vista or
> not and switch layout.
> -------
> Blaming the breakage on Vista is unfair, IMHO. Putting user config along with
> executables is a bad idea on multi-user systems, regardless of whether the
> user has admin privileges or not.
   Exactly, and I believe this has been fixed in the recent Etoys installer.
   Please try it and report if you observe problem.

    FYI - For XP box the recent installer will create etoys.ini like this:
        SecureDirectory="%APPDATA%\etoys"
        UserDirectory="%MYDOCUMENTS%\etoys"
    The INI will be created by installer.  So it should work for
non-admin user OOTB.

   (We still need platform specific tweak for IE7/8).

> I bumped into a similar issue when I assisted school children to run Etoys off
> USB flash memory on shared PCs. The chip could be plugged into any PC, so
> admin privilege cannot be assumed. I modified etoys.ini to:
>  SecureDirectory=%SQUEAK_SECUREDIR%
>  UserDirectory=%SQUEAK_USERDIR%
> and launched etoys with an autorun.bat:
>  set SQUEAK_USERDIR=\Toys
>  set SQUEAK_SECUREDIR=\secure
>  \etoys\etoys.app\etoys.exe
>
> Now the entire \etoys subtree could be made read-only while each school could
> change the path for saving projects by editing autorun.bat (if needed).
   Thanks for sharing this!  This kind of tips is really valuable to
people working on real deployment.

 /Korakurider