[Etoys] finalStripping hangs waitForCommand

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jun 16 10:41:34 EDT 2009

On 16.06.2009, at 16:11, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 04:04:32 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> hence you cannot edit a LatexMorph someone else
>> sent you even if you have Latex installed.
> LatexMorph serves only as a tool to convert textual LaTeX code into
> a graphic.
> One can always ship this code as TextMorph across projects. I can do:
>    myLatexMorph contents:  importedLatexMorph contents.
>    myLatexMorph openInHand.
>
> Once Etoys gets a good typesetter plugin, OSProcess may no longer be
> required.
> Any takers?

Pango is supposed to be pretty good for regular text paragraphs.
Doesn't layout formulas of course.

>> Or are you running in Sugar on the XO under Rainbow?
> No. Etoys is run off a USB flash chip on off-the-shelf machines with
> Linux or
> Windows (machines borrowed from other local community projects).

The proper way would have been to make a very simple custom plugin
that has just a single primitive invoking a shell script doing the
LaTeX processing. That way it could not be misused for anything else -
OSProcess is just too mighty a tool for this specific purpose. And it
would be easily customizable, too, by editing the shell script.