[Etoys] Can we turn an animation into a gif file?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Jun 16 01:05:07 EDT 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Bruno Sperb wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Im Bruno, writing from Brazil.
>
> As we are working on animations with a group of kids, a teacher
> asked me
> if it is possible to save an animated sketch as a gif file?

Hi, Bruno,

Each individual frame of the animation can separately be saved as a
gif, of course, using the "export..." menu found in each sketch's halo
menu (btw, to see the "export" menu , the eToyFriendly preference must
be turned off.)

But I imagine that what you're really asking is whether a single
"animated gif" file can be created from the sketches in a Holder that
constitute an animation built in Etoys, and I'm sorry to have to
report that the answer is... no, (afaik) there is no such facility.
The system can *play* animated-gifs brought in from the outside world,
but cannot create its own.

Perhaps someone reading this will be inspired to implement an animated-
gif writer.

Meanwhile, saving the individual Sketches in a series of .gif files,
then using some third-party software to combine those gifs into a
single animated gif, would seem to be the best alternative available.

Cheers,

   -- Scott