[Etoys] Etoys image size

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 05:54:09 EDT 2009

On Thursday 11 Jun 2009 3:07:51 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 11.06.2009, at 08:16, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The etoys image size has grown to over 30MB now. How can I generate
> > a report
> > on the top memory hogs by categories or classes (and their
> > instances, of
> > course)? How do I make sure that memory hogs are indeed really
> > needed in the
> > base image and cannot be parceled into projects.
>
> SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis: 1 on: 'space.txt'
This shows that the top three hoggers are ByteString, Array and
CompiledMethod. Most of the space is in CompiledMethod (I suppose most of the
objects in the other two are influenced by this count). I got a breakup by
size. Most of the space is occupied by very small methods (20..40 bytes). It
is like death through thousand cuts :-). I can trace senderless methods and
then onto unused classes manually. I also saw methods for minor and major
shrink but they appear obsolete.

Is there an automated way to track unused stuff in an image on an ongoing
basis? How do the master image builders keep an image trim?

Subbu