[Etoys] What now ?

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Sat Jan 10 09:04:23 EST 2009

<straightThoughMode>

I always feel sad how OLPC missed the Smalltalk/Morph/Etoys
opportunity, both from the technical point of view but also and more
importantly from the educative point of view.

If you look at the sugarized applications, the educative application
are fragmented, unrelated and they can't be connected.

For examples, why can't I open the camera recorder in my abiword activity?
Then also why can't I get data from the measure activity into an
another unrelated activity to manipulate the data?
Or why can't I control the measure activity from another activity?
Why can't a teachers/developers create educative activities out of
third party activities?

These drawback stop you to be creative when you use a computer.
They stop teacher or developers to build easily educative activities.
And given the intended goal of XO -- you all know it -- it is a
serious design problem.

At this level Sugar is not better to the other UI framework around and
it is disappointing.

But where it is even more disappointing it is when you are realizing
all these features you want to have to be creative with computer are
just siting there in Smalltalk/Morph/Etoys. It need polishing, some
reengineering, but the design is there from the beginning with years
of experience.

But sill we are forced to go the uncreative way.

Disappointing

</straightThoughMode>