[Etoys] Sound in SoaS

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 11 05:23:59 EDT 2009

On 11.04.2009, at 02:44, Pato Acevedo wrote:

> Hi Guys:

> snd_add_pcm_handler:
> fine.
> > > >
>    Can you to share a step by step mini how to about to enable the
> sound in Etoys in this way?

launch terminal activity
type "su" to become root
type "pico /usr/bin/etoys" to edit
edit the line
     VMOPTIONS="-encoding UTF-8 -vm-display-x11 -xshm"
to have the -vm-sound-OSS option:
     VMOPTIONS="-encoding UTF-8 -vm-display-x11 -xshm -vm-sound-OSS"
press ctrl-x to exit, say Y to save

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pato Acevedo
>
> P.D.:
>
> I'm trying the last SOAS (Soas2-200904062216) and in both my desktop
> and  the Classmate 2 when changing project Etoys I obtain a  black
> screen for a fraction of a second . Am I the only one, or someone
> else reported this behavior? It is strange because the image is
> displayed first but then the screen goes to black, "wink" and then
> reappears the last screen that was flashing before. For example, in
> the Etoy´s splash screen I make click in the cloud called "Gallery
> of projects" can to see a thumbnails for all projects but
> immediately the screen go and return from black. When press the
> Previous project buttom is the same.

Yes, it's been reported multiple times because it indeed is rather
annoying:

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9273