[Etoys] Etoys-based activity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 9 04:09:42 EDT 2009

On 09.04.2009, at 06:49, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> This is very cool - I looked inside the FreeCell content viewer:

FreeCell activity, please. "Content viewer" does not really apply to
Etoys.

> this is basically an example that can be used to expose parts of
> Etoys for example, the speech synthetizer if it still exists, the
> painting tool, the MPeg player etc, as content or even activity

Right. I tried to communicate this several times before, but it seems
to be worth repeating ;) The first was in July 2007 in fact:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2007-July/000684.html

Anyway, you can rather easily make your own Squeak-based activity,
even on a Mac or Win box: select a .pr or .st file, and click the "XO"
button in the FileList. Voila. You get a skeleton activity that should
work out-of-the-box if you install it in Sugar. Then you still have to
manually edit it of course, replacing the default icon etc. but it's a
fine start and in fact exactly what I did for FreeCell.

>  (although without the Suger interactions I guess), right?

It could have full Sugar interaction. From time to time I do explain
how to access the Journal from Squeak, that could be used to save/load
state. Same for network collaboration.

If you are interested we can work on extending the FreeCell activity
together. Like adding Journal save/resume.