[Etoys] NOSifying etoys.image

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Wed Sep 24 21:39:58 EDT 2008

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   It doesn't seem to go to far.  I put some test code in the image
> side like in #snapshot:and:quit:embbeded: and other #startUp in some
> classes, but none seemed to be executed (I may be doing it wrong,
> though.)  Looking at the VM start up part would be helpful.

    That's the same problem I had. Tow particular things confuse me:

. Other squeak images work fine (like SqueakNOS original or SqueakNOS ESUG)
. When using etoys.image taken from the OLPC, I got the problem you describe
(no code ever ran at startup), BUT, the car (morph/script) moves around and
bounces on stuff as it does on a normal image.

The two things together really confuse me
>   How was SqueakNOS.kernel created?  (And how do you debug it?)

    On the CD image, directory trunk has everything necesary to rebuild the
system. On a linux with gcc and gmake, just go to trunk/platform/SqueakNOS
and do make (make try or make iso), that rebuilds the whole system.

    As for debugging... well... I don't really have a way to debug it,
although
OpenFirmware does have a native debugger that you can use. I tried it when
I had a problem on the OLPC, and it proved to be very effective.

    I just downloaded the image, and I'm updating (it's a lot of updates!).
As you suggested, I'm going to change the fonts, I did noticed something
about the fonts during my tests.

    richie