[Etoys] NOSifying etoys.image

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Sun Sep 21 19:55:30 EDT 2008

Hi all (hi Hilaire :)

    I'm interested in making bootable (SqueakNOS) the standard
etoys.image from the OLPC.

    The process of NOSifying a somehow modern .image is easy:

    Just load FFI from universe and then load SqueakNOS from Monticello:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakNOS'
    user: ''
    password: ''

    Save the image, and reboot with it (copy it to the root of the USB
drive as SqueakNOS.image)

    I have tested this with several images, and it works. But with
etoys.image it doesn't work. I've tested this on the OLPC and on a real
PC and VMWare. In all the cases I've got the same result (if you are
familiar with the image, which I guess):

    The car is moving around the screen, but the screen is not properly
redrawn (it only get's redraw when the car passes over somewhere), and
the keyboard and mouse don't work (that's my problem). I tried to nail
down the problem, but couldn't so far.

    One of the problems I had to overcome is to load FFI into the image.
Apparently the base .image used is too old for the versions of FFI I
could find. I solved this using partial fileout-fileins, bit I'm not
sure if I did it properly... I have many questions and possible future
directions, but lets just start with the basics:

    What version of Squeak is etoys.image based on?
    What are the chances that I can get the same, but based on a newer
image?

    If anybody is interested in giving me a hand here, I'll help you get
started with SqueakNOS, and from there it'll be just Squeak as you are
used to it.

    richie