[Etoys] Possible to load/import project from file without going to World Menu?

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 9 18:07:30 EDT 2008

On 2008 September 9, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 09.09.2008 um 07:13 schrieb Yoshiki Ohshima:
> > At Tue, 9 Sep 2008 00:59:07 +0000,
> >
> > Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> >> Today I realized that I do not know how to import a project from
> >> file without
> >> going to World Menu - or is hiding the filesystem as a way of sharing
> >> discouraged (not a bad thing but still surprised me).
>
> If you download a file using the Browse activity it is placed in the
> Journal. If you plug in a USB drive, it shows up in the Journal. You
> can copy a file from the Journal the Clipboard, and paste it from
> there into an activity. An activity can also bring up a dialog that
> lets the user pick a file from the Journal directly.
>
> These are what the Sugar UI designers envision to be the only ways to
> interact with files. The file system is intentionally hidden.

Yes, thanks - I realize using the laptop all goes through Journal or
Clipboard, but fought with it for a while., using command line as file
browser and when copying files in and out using USB. Now I use Journal but I
still thought that exchanging etoys projects using "Publish As" is an
alternative way, but did not know about the security activity sandbox you
pointed to.

> >> Some forms of saving project gave error - reported on trac.
> >
> >  Thanks!  I commented on that, too.
>
> Me too - this is Not A Bug.

Yes I agree.

> An activity like Etoys cannot write to the /home/olpc directory
> because it is not running as user olpc. This is the fabled "Rainbow"
> security in action (see
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Security if you are
> interested in some details).

Thanks!