[Etoys] Another eToys on XO testemonial

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 20 08:02:01 EST 2008

On 20.11.2008, at 13:50, Greg Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> FYI here is another link I saw recently about people using eToys with
> the XO. Interestingly, they used the tutorials on your web site to
> great
> effect.
>
> http://blog.laptopmag.com/olpc-mali-collaboration-emerges-as-the-program-winds-down

Nice :)

> I see one feature requests in there about allowing people to change
> the
> size of the cursor. Since everything can be modified on the fly, I
> imagine that is possible already. If so you may want to document it
> somewhere and if not you may want to add it.

Well, there actually is a preference indeed to enable the big cursor,
and it is of course enabled on the XO for its 200 dpi screen (the
regular 16 pixels-tall cursor is *tiny*). We already made the cursor
quite a bit smaller and pointier than Eben's Sugar default cursor. But
maybe it's still too large ...

Takashi, what do you think?

> I'm not sure what version of the XO they had in Mali but I would guess
> that its an old one with cursor control problems which have been
> minimized in later releases.

Well, the touchpad seems to be the single biggest annoyance of the
current hardware. I noticed that the Waveplace pilots in the Carribean
actually provided USB mice to children. Any idea when the new touchpad
goes into production?