[Etoys] etoys image freezing?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon May 12 00:16:36 EDT 2008

> It never occurred to me to do what you suggest (thanks for mentioning
> that). But the reason for changing the defafult is on my OS X laptop, I
> usually have Squeak in the Applications directory and I'm often loading
> project files (from a class I've been teaching) that have been saved to
> a folder on my desktop (/Users/home/Desktop).
>
> Actually, that directory has been changed from some time now with now
> ill effects - it hasn't been until my recent experiments with sound that
> the freezes I'm noticing started. From tests I'll describe below, my
> impression is that the directory issue has nothing to do with the freeze.

  You don't have to rewrite the method, though.  You can set the
default directory while it is running.  And it shouldn't freeze the
image.

> SampledSound playSoundNamed: 'camera'
>
> s := (SampledSound soundNamed:  'camera').
> s play.
>
> snd := SampledSound fromAIFFfileNamed: '/Users/polishookm/Desktop/fox.aiff'.
> snd play.
>
> r := RepeatingSound repeat: s count: 2.
> r play
>
> s := (SampledSound soundNamed:  'camera').
> s samples
>

> which which I've been working and I didn't press the save image button.
> Squeak froze after 10 doits or so.

  Here, can you try a sequence that only involves the build-in sound
and compare it with a sequence that includes other sound like fox.aiff?

> So having gone through to this point, I would say the freeze
> seems to be happening when working with code to play sound files. That's
> also consistent with my experience in that I wasn't experiencing freezes
> until I began to play with the sound code above. (Which was just a day
> or so ago).

  Some progress was made for the clarification.

> >   Accepting a workspace has an obscure effect but you usually don't
> > have to care it at all.
> >

> Thanks. I understand now that there's probably now reason to accept code
> in a workspace. (A question is why is that option there? .... accept (s)

  It *does* an obscure thing but it is not useful.  And having
slightly different text menu would be annoying.  This is the way
Squeak code has been written^^;

> >  What
> > is your VM and what is your platform?
>
> Squeakland.app from squeakland.org on OS X (10.5.2)

  Ok.

> > and Squeak VM is using a right driver?
> As far as I know. I haven't specified anything to Squeak (or OS X) about
> drivers. I'm just using, as best as I know, whatever the defaults are.

  In general, it should be fine.

> >  At some
> > old time, Unix VM did freeze the image when trying to play a sound and
> > when the sound driver wasn't available.
> >

> Perhaps I'm experiencing this  now in OS X? How do I know if the driver
> is available or not? (Shouldn't it just be present and working?)

  If you haven't changed so much it should be ok.  You can hear the
Squeak's built in sound ok, right?

> The only change was to #startUp and as I'm mentioning in the most recent
> tests, that change has been omitted  (from testing). So I'm thinking now
> that changes I made to #startUp really haven't had anything to do with
> what I'm reporting (the freezes)

  Ok.

> >   I tried to change the startUp method on my computer and it doesn't
> > freeze my image (as it shouldn't) there is still something missing.
> > Hope you explain it in a way that somebody else can reproduce...
> >
> If we (and/or others) can solve this, I'd be very grateful :) .... I'm
> experimenting with sound with the idea of extending the sound category
> in tiles. So obviously my first step is to get sound running.

  Yes, try different sound separately and see if they make some
difference.