[Etoys] Sound tool refactoring and enhancement

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Wed May 7 06:32:58 EDT 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 07.05.2008, at 09:38, karl wrote:
>
>> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

>>> An interesting application of sound tiles for learning is seen in
>>>
>>> http://www.ccd.rpi.edu/Eglash/csdt/latino/rhythm/rhy_intr.htm
>>>
>>> It illustrates how units of sounds can be combined using simple
>>> algebras to
>>> produce rhythms. In the process, children get to learn about
>>> similarity,
>>> repetitions, multiples and so on.
>>>
>>> Regards .. Subbu
>>>

>> Thats really cool.  You can kind of do the same with the Sound
>> SequencerMorph, in a linear fashion. And the UI should be cleaned up a
>> little.
>

> I made an Etoy a while ago, see attachment. Drag the yellow "notes"
> off the circle, and resize them to change pitch. Now, what would be
> really cool if we could make this use an instrument instead of the
> simple sine wave ...
>
> The same thing should be doable with percussions, just drop some
> sampled sounds into the world.
>
> On the XO it would be great to use TamTam instruments. We have OSC for
> Squeak ...
That is very nice. Makes me want more etoy access to the FM synth and
other sound tools.

So what we have is a morph that changes pitch according to size, but how
could we represent all the other parameters ?
Attack, sustain, drop off, volume, sound length, wave form etc. This
needs some thinking...
It is easy to be overwhelmed by this. We don't want the sound interface
to be like the synths back in the 70th where you had a big switch board
and dozens of knobs and cords etc... At least not as a first impression :-)

If we used TamTam instruments would we have to drop out of Squeak to
edit the sounds ? Should we present the instruments in  the  drop down
list of sounds we have now ? Should the sounds be included in projects
to be portable ?

There is a lot to think about :-)

Karl