[Etoys] Pen color categoyry

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Mon Mar 31 11:45:24 EDT 2008

karl wrote:
> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 30 Mar 2008 11:40:09 pm karl wrote:
>>

>>> I was playing a little with Etoys and pen use today and found that it's
>>> hard to change pen color of SketchMorphs in scripts because their color
>>> category in the Viewer is not in use. But many times I may want to
>>> change the pen color of a SketchMorph so I thought a Pen Color category
>>> could be nice.
>>>

>> +1 with a slight modification.
>>
>> In Logo's Turtle, the pen was a tangible and visible entity which made it easy
>> for kids to comprehend it. In Etoy, the Pen is an invisible, abstract entity
>> whose presence is manifest only in the trails it leaves behind. This runs
>> counter to Morphic principle of directness. Instead, pen methods could be
>> factored into a separate Morph, say PenMorph, that can be manipulated by kids
>> directly to affect size, color, shape, trailstyle and up/down state.
>>
>> Subbu
>>

> I agree that the current pen is a little abstract and intangible, and it
> can feel a little left in the background. But then again, Etoys is so
> wast, many features are hard to grasp and get right away.
Here is a example of the indirection one must go though to get a change
in pen color. Making pen a first class object would simplify this logic
a little.

This example is from a simple color filter etoy I made, where some basic
digital image color manipulation can be experimented with using two
turtles moving in unison. One turtle for reading and one for writing.

Karl