[Etoys] etoys performance problems

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 26 06:07:16 EDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:37 , Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Hilaire Fernandes schrieb:
>>
>> As a concrete simple example, how can I examine the content of this
>> project file http://swiki.ofset.org:8000/super/36 (produced with a
>> 3.8
>> image)?
>>
>> It use 3 graphics and I am really curious to know what inside
>> the .pr file.
>>
>> The info I got from the .pr is:
>> hilaire at tice:/tmp$ file ENGRENAGE4.001.pr
>> ENGRENAGE4.001.pr: gzip compressed data, from FAT filesystem (MS-
>> DOS, OS/2, NT)
>>
>> Once gunzipped, I can't examine the content...
>>
> Probably the file command is confused about this file.
> .pr files are just ZIP files, so you should be able to unzip the
> file to
> see its contents.

The format for .pr files changed over time.

Hilaire's ENGRENAGE4.001.pr is indeed just a gzip-compressed object
file, after decompressing it begins thus:

'From Squeak3.8 of ''5 May 2005'' [latest update: #6665] on 26
September 2005 at 4:44:57 pm'!
!ObjectScanner new initialize!
!self smartRefStream!

... followed by the data.

Newer .pr files are zipped, and contain yet another .pr file which is
a raw image segment.

And then there is the new project file format that we are switching to
now, it's a high-level text-based project description rather than a
direct object serialization.

The project loading code is pretty flexible and accepts many
combinations of plain/zipped/gzipped refstreams or image segments or s-
expressions.