[Etoys] [Etoys-notify] Etoys-notify Digest, Vol 8, Issue 19

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jun 26 14:04:56 EDT 2008

At Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:35:23 -0700,
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Antonio,
>
> > Yoshiki,
> > with the debian VM, actually when you type any character with accent
> > you get: Ã
> >
> > but I go on ignoring where the problem is: inside the image or inside the VM or inside the squeak.sh. Sorry.
>
>   Thank you for reporting.  But, it is hard to tell what is going
> wrong.  I do have an XO with spanish keyboard, and I installed
> relatively new image and VM from the repository.  (Because I just did,
> I played with the very latest:
>
> http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/etoys-3.0.2029-1.noarch.rpm
> http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/squeak-vm-3.10-3olpc3.i386.rpm
> )
>
> and to me, on that XO with spanish keyboard, typing accented
> characters works.  And on Fedora switching the keyboard layout and
> language setting and typing also works.
>
>   Can you check the versions of them, locale setting, and keyboard
> layout?

  I happened to have access to a Ubuntu box yesterday, and tried
Spanish keyboard input with reasonably latest Squeak and Etoys.  I
again switched keyboard to spanish by:

  setxkbmap -layout es

and launch Squeak as:

  squeak etoys-dev-3.0-2037.image

and entering "a" and "e" with ` and ' did work.

-- Yoshiki

  Probably it is time to have another "work for jamon" trip.