[Etoys] Nepalese support: making progress

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 25 09:53:34 EDT 2008

Am 25.06.2008 um 07:48 schrieb Yoshiki Ohshima:

>  Hello,
>
>  We are making another progress on the text rendering support with
> Pango.  This time, I'm even comfortable to mention it publicly!
>
>  As a test, I put a little bit of (incomplete) Nepalese support.  For
> those who would like to try right now, do it a bit hard way on Linux:
>
>  - Get the latest VMMaker image, update RomePlugin to the latest
>    version with the Monticello browser.  Generate source code to
> compile
>    the VM.

You can also simply check out the latest svn from the olpc branch and
recompile.

Or, if you use sugar-jhbuild, do "sugar-jhbuild buildone squeak"

Or, use my precompiled RomePlugin. To install on the XO:

cd /usr/lib/squeak/3.10-3
wget http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/RomePlugin.gz
gunzip RomePlugin.gz

>  - Update the etoys-3.0 image to the latest.
>  - Switch the language to Nepali from the flag in the menu bar.
>  - Change the keyboard layout to devanagaari by something like:
>    setxkbmap -layout in -variant deva
>
> and type Devanagaari into Etoys.
>
>  Clipboard isn't quite right (even though it may seem to be working),
> but let me know if the keyboard works as expected.
>
>  Sometime this week, we'll release the VM so that you don't have to
> build the VM by yourself.

Please test! There definitely are still bugs. I already reported some:

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7320
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7344
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7345
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7347

(7345 appears to be even worse without Pango, so that one could be
tested on non-Linux machines - hint hint)