[Etoys] Squeaklets/

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 31 13:11:24 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 13:38 , Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I've hit a snag while bundling up a proper EPaati.xo activity bundle.
> The issue is that when I try to load a project from a file Squeak is
> trying to cache the project file in (imagedir)/Squeaklets/ and it's
> failing due to a permissions problem. The directories all have
> permissions rwxrwxr-x and Sugar seems to run the epaati activity as
> some "other" user who lacks write permissions.
>
> So I'm looking for a way to either prevent Squeak from caching the
> projects in Squeaklets/ (waste of time and space in this case --
> they're already on disk) or to arrange for the permissions to work out
> so that Squeak can create Squeaklets/ or will already have it
> correctly setup.
>
> Any tips?

This works fine in the etoys bundle. You must have the
startupInUntrustedDirectory preference enabled, in which case not the
image directory becomes the default directory, but rather what was
passed as SQUEAK_USERDIR environment variable in the etoys-activity
script. That script takes care to set it to the activity-writable
location ($SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data), see

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Writable_Directories