[Etoys] portuguese in pootle

Paulo Drummond ptdrumm at terra.com.br
Fri Jan 18 20:51:40 EST 2008

Hi Jecel and Korakurider —

In fact, I did the original translations for the Squeakland Etoys
interface, using the Language Editor. At that time there were some
3000+ words and phrases. Then, after some recent wandering, what once
was 'pt.translation' landed as a pootle project. For some reason yet
unclear to me, a second language came out of the blue: brazilian
portuguese. See the rest of the thread below..

On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:13 PM, Korakurider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 19, 2008 5:38 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>
> wrote:
>> I took a look at the Pootle pages today and noticed that it
>> indicates 0%
>> for eToys in the Portuguese(Brazil) version:
>> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt_BR/etoys/
>>
>> For the European Portuguese version the situation is much better
>> at 51%:
>> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt/etoys/index.html
>   Yes, pt translation was migrated from legacy squeakland release with
> bunch of translations for its supported languages.  pt_BR was just
> copied from POT and no one working on until now.

I continued to contribute for the "portuguese half-filled pot"
instead of starting from scratch (no pun intended) again.

As a suggestion, someone familiar with pot could copy everything from
portuguese onto brazilian portuguese. (Takashi, are u reading this?).
Most of the origonal wording was written considering pt-br, with some
recently added as pt-pt by Tiago Lino, afaik.

I do my best to continuing from there, that is, if a copy is made as
I suggested above.

>> Looking at some of the phrases, however, I can see that this
>> second file
>> should really be pt_br instead since things like "file" were
>> translated
>> to "arquivo" rather than "ficheiro".
>>
>> I suppose it is easy enough to just copy one file to the other and so
>> jump from 0% to 51% for pt_br, which is important for meeting the
>> Update.1 deadline.
>
>  I think how to populate translations is up to the language team.  So
> you could discuss with team listed in
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pootle#Sign-up
>   It seems that uploading PO to Pootle doesn't work (when I tested it
> Pootle stopped). so you will need to ask localization team or etoys
> for help to merge translations and commit to repository.
>
>   I am not sure whether providing pt_br is really important even if
> that is same as pt...  You could install better translations onto XO
> even after update.1 is released.

Tha problem is, as Jecel pointed out, there are subtle and not-so-
subtle differences between the two. And yes, I think now, once there
are two 'languages" it is important to have both translations
correctly done.

>> But it seems to me that any changes after that will
>> make the two files diverge. I am not familiar with Pootle - does
>> it have
>> any kind of inheritance mechanism? The difference between pt and
>> pt_br
>> would be so small that dealing with them separately means effectively
>> doing all the work twice.
>   Unfortunately Pootle doesn't have such feature at this time.
>
> Cheers,
> /Korakurider

cheers,
Paulo