[Etoys] Can Playing of Etoys Event Theatre be saved as screencast (e.g. OGG)?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Dec 18 07:15:42 EST 2008

On 18.12.2008, at 04:04, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On Monday 15 December 2008, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On 15.12.2008, at 06:57, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > > I cannot find any option for it, but was wondering if "playing" of
> > > Event Theatre can be "saved as" or converted to a video format
> such
> > > as ogg. I realize one can use a screencast software to capture
> that
> > > section of window but that seems to be a 2-step process,
> external to
> > > etoys..
> >
> > That would indeed be a very desirable feature. Right now it's not
> > supported. Event theater only records events (including voice over)
> > and plays back by re-executing the events.
> >
> > What could be implemented relatively easily is to store a series of
> > pictures while playing back, and save the audio as a WAV or similar.
> > Then you could use an external tool to create a video from that.
> >
> > Even cooler (but probably much less simple) would be to use the new
> > GStreamer support to encode an OGG video directly from Etoys.
> Thanks for your comments - Interesting. I would not know where to
> start, but maybe one day ...

Maybe :) At least we are trying to make contributing much easier than
before. If you have thoughts on what could be improved to invite more
developers, or make it more approachable for the current ones, please
let us know.

> in relation to that, would it make sense to tackle it in the new
> (Tweak-based) Etoys - I am not sure it is on the radar.
> Milan

Well, nobody is working on Tweak-Etoys currently. It is functional and
it demonstrated quite a number of benefits over Squeak-Etoys, but it
would need a lot of polish and engineering to make it useable day-to-
day. Unless someone takes on that task it will remain a prototype.

Squeak-Etoys will be maintained and further developed outside of VPRI
in the future. VPRI itself now focuses on inventing more powerful
approaches to end-user programming, which may (and hopefully will)
result in an all-new Etoys a few years down the road.

- Bert -