[Etoys] screen sharing with Etoys on the XO
timothy at immuexa.com
Fri Aug 22 14:09:20 EDT 2008
I've been doing some experimenting with screen sharing to help our
pilots in Nicaragua and Haiti. They're having problems with twenty
kids seeing the teachers laptop screen.
Here's what I've found ...
FOR THE TEACHER XO:
1) open up etoys on one XO, with the project you want to share
2) pause any scripts to make your life easier
3) click the white circle with the black dot in the toolbar
4) choose "make a badge"
5) when all other XOs have joined, you can safely delete the "buddy"
FOR EACH OTHER XO:
1) click the neighborhood key (third from top-left)
2) find the shooting star and choose "join" from it
3) etoys should open, then show a "badge" with the teachers XO name
4) click the "S" button and a a little copy of the teacher screen
5) click "1x1" to make the teacher screen bigger
6) move the pointer to the upper right corner and tell them not to
move it (too confusing)
You should now be able to use the teacher XO and have it replicated on
the other XOs. In testing, I've found it can take about 15 to 20
seconds for the other XOs to catch up, though this varies based upon
how much activity is happening from the teacher XO. Sometimes its
instantaneous. In general, pause scripts when you can and plan your
movements ... it'll speed things up.
You can either broadcast from one mentor's XO to the other mentors,
and assemble the kids around each, or you can try full broadcast. I
tested with ten XOs sharing and there was no noticeable slowdown.
You might experiment with one XO sharing to four XOs, then those four
sharing to five XOs. Might speed things up.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
More information about the Etoys