[Etoys] etoys graphical artifacts in joyride-2303

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 18 10:08:50 EDT 2008

Am 18.08.2008 um 14:17 schrieb Ties Stuij:

> He list,
>
> We discovered some weird behaviour when running the latest etoys on
> the latest joyride (2303), prolly related to
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7830, so we filed it there.

It's actually
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8008
caused by
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7612

Bug #7830 sounds different to me.

> When running the cursor over for example the top icon bar, or when
> moving a tile, squares on the screen that just have been changed will
> not be updated. See the ticket page for two Etoys screenies. This is
> prolly an X.org bug btw. A workaround might be (the bug might not get
> fixed any time soon; a related ticket has not been fixed in half a
> year, and we don't want to disable hardware acceleration just for
> etoys I can imagine) to not pass -xshm to the -vm-display-x11 option
> when firing up squeak, which restores etoys behaviour to normal (just
> concerning this bug of course ;oP).
>
> Note that this doesn't happen on our 703 build.

Jordan is working on this, see

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7612

Yoshiki said rendering is much slower without -xshm, but we did not
benchmark it, yet, I think.

Btw, you should subscribe to the etoys-notify list so you do not miss
bug discussions like this.