[Etoys] quitting from etoys

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 10 12:35:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Eben Eliason <eben at laptop.org> wrote:
>  > >  >  A nice compromise (besides obviously speeding up the saving) may be to
>  >  >  >  hide the saving - just close the window so it looks like Etoys was
>  >  >  >  stopped, but continue to save in the background. We could even display
>  >  >  >  the progress of this in the Journal, just like Browse does while
>  >  >  >  downloading.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Yes, that seems like an excellent idea.
>  >
>  >  Yes, this is definitely a direction worth exploring further. When
>  >  designing the "in progress" visual for Journal entries, it was
>  >  definitely my intent to support save operations in addition to
>  >  downloads and copies (https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2555#comment:1). I
>  >  have also reported a bug on the time taken to stop activities in
>  >  general, arguing myself that it's the perceived speed that really
>  >  matters in this case, and stopping an activity should feel
>  >  instantaneous (https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2523).  Feel free to add
>  >  comments to either of these tickets; I'd really like to make this
>  >  approach common practice.
>
>  Yes, do you need any help to make that happen in etoys?

So, clearly Etoys (and other activities, as needed) will have to
handle the smart save on their own.  However, is it possible for Sugar
itself to enforce the perceived immediate close on it's own, detecting
"stop" events and immediately hiding the window (not without first
allowing the activity to disallow this via some handler, of course)?

- Eben