[Etoys] Progress/Status Translation

Gerhard Steiner gd.steiner at gmx.at
Thu Apr 10 11:56:40 EDT 2008

Korakurider schrieb:
> Hi, Gerhard.
>
> On 4/10/08, Gerhard Steiner <gd.steiner at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The recent situation of etoy-translation is a little bit confusing for me.
>> Is there a chance for some updates to the different images and on Pootle.
>>
>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip
>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip
>> I downloaded and installed them and pulled all updates up to 1963
>>
>> The recent  images doesn't include the latest changes of translation
>> strings in their pot/po-files (from Feb/Mar).
>> It had to play around with the language-editor to get them somehow
>> available.
>> Is it possible for the developers to update the translations-strings in
>> the images + pootle, in some kind of automatic procedure?
>> I can see only 6 different languages in the language selector in the
>> nav-bar.
>>
>      The downloadable files you mentioned are just result of the
> latest build and aren't package perfectly ready for use.  Those don't
> contain compiled MOs, so basically you need to place MOs manually.
>      Without MOs, Etoys work with in-image translations that we
> (developers) don't maintain anymore.

There are two reasons why I ask for more frequent updates:
1. I'm impatient :-) I want to translate the latest adapted translation
strings (event theatre, ...). It is easier for me if I get additional
translation strings in a sequence of smaller portions (25-100) instead
of having to wait for one big giant update with 500 additional strings.

2. "New" users which download the "official" zip-images get only
outdated german translation. The german translation has been heavily
adapted over the last 6 weeks and is now 100% reviewed and checked. I
want that new users get a recent translation when they try out etoys.
They often don't know how to update the translation in there image or
aren't interested to do all the necessary steps (find the po-file, find
a tool for compiling, checkpo-File /store mo-file, ...)

>       Do you have any reason that you don't want work with MOs
> external to image and you want to stick to in-image translations?
> I believe we don't want to (in usual situation).  Here is why:
>
>       The Design of legacy-in-image translation dictionary is just one
> big original to translation mapping table and functionality is very
> limited.
>       For example, with the legacy  mechanism we can't implement
> context-aware translation you requested in the recent discussion.
> Other example is that add-on activity like DrGeoII can have its own
> translations (with TextDomain of gettext).  But for in-image
> dictionary all translation including add-on ones needs to be unified.

I don't want to work with the in-image translator, but at the moment a
gettext-import seems to be the only way to get a recent translation into
the dev-image (etoy-dev seems to ignore etoy.mo). That's the only reason
why I use the InternalTranslator.

>> The etoys.image has a lang-directory, the etoys-dev.image has a
>> po-directory. Any chance to unifiy them.
>>
>    We could have both directories in both archives :-)

I think it would be better if there is only one
translation-file/directory. At the it is to easy for a translator to get
lost between 5 different different translations for one language
(etoy.po on Pootle, etoy.po+etoy.mo local for etoy.image, de.po for
etoy-dev.image and the in-image translation etoy). Pleeeeease
>> The InternalLanguageEditor uses the po-directory for gettext
>> export/import (both etoy+etoy-dev.image).
>>
>     LanguageEditor still exist as-is for now, and you can import PO
> into in-image dictionary or export.  But the limitation I explained
> above would affect you.   If we introduce context or split big
> etoys.po into multiple pieces  importing will not work.

As described above, all I want is one full and recent german
translation:-) Thank you to very much for all the developer effort which
has gone and is flowing into the improvement of the translation.

>> Any chance to include the latest translation-cs form ticket 6704 into
>> the images and Pootle:-)
>>
>     This is different topic and still needs some work by developers...

Any chance for a time estimation?
I got some feedback for the latest german translation ("Hey fine, but
there are some things missing").
I want to answer them with "Thank you, missing strings are in progress,
please help they will come at dd/mm/yyyy"

kind regards
Gerhard Steiner