[Etoys] experimental GetTextTranslator

korakurider korakurider at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Sep 27 22:54:36 EDT 2007

Hi, Takashi.
Thanks for testing!

I am really surprised how UTF8TextConverter is slow
(and how my box run faster than XO :-P)
Do you know the possibility of performance optimization of
the conveter that Yoshiki mentioned in sqeueak-dev
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-June/117710.html
)?

I imagine working set of strings needed on localeChange
will be enough small.  If this is true, initialization
time will be able to reduced, by decoupling loading of
bytestrings from conversion (of raw bytestring to squeak
format), and convert on demand.
But actually I am not sure about our target of performance
optimization for FRS.

My intent is to stabilize integration of the new
translator stuff and existing codebase (e.g. APIs
independent to actual implementation, and how to use
them).  So I am going to continue working on
squeak-only-implementation.
You might want to replace the layer with libintrl based
implementation.  how do you think?

/Korakurider

--- Takashi Yamamiya <tak at metatoys.org> wrote:

> Great!
>
> I takes about 4 seconds in XO machine. Here is the
> result of
> MessageTally spyOn: [GetTextTranslator
> localeChanged: 'ja']
>
> Cheers,