[Etoys] Fwd: MO reader

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 20 12:49:06 EDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 16:00 , korakurider at yahoo.co.jp wrote:

> Hi.
> I am writing a simple MO reader. First cut is attached: I
> don't care performance for now.
> I tested it with japanese MOs bundled with Ruby-gettext
> package, as I don't have gettext runtime to compile POs
> for EToys right now.
>
> I think we need to decide for some design issues to go
> forward:
>
> a) How to package MO from those highly fragmented POs: how
> many MOs will we have?  what is assigned to textdomain ?
> I am not certain whether current packaging scheme for POs
> will be also good for MO/textdomain.
>
> In typical usage textdomain represents "application" and
> translation is provided for each app.
>
> Also note that this decision will affect design for good
> performance and resource usage.

The idea was to have one MO per class category, because the best
equivalent to "applications" in Squeak are class categories. This way
an MO file corresponds roughly to a Monticello Package, for example.

One problem is that the classes in the etoys image are not very
nicely categorized - I think that was done in 3.8.1 but not 3.8. For
example, there is a stray OLPC category which would better be merged
with the Sugar category.

> b) how to decide textdomain on #translated?

Based on the category of the sender of #translated:

	translated
		| classAndSelector category |
		classAndSelector := thisContext sender who.
		category := classAndSelector first category.

This is rather inefficient, when loading an MO file we might want to
create a cache for looking up the category from the CompiledMethod
directly.

> c) Where will MO reside in runtime environment?

In a subdirectory of "Smalltalk imagePath".

> I am thinking about squeakland-OLPC with SecurityPlugin
> enabled.
> (Is security plugin enabled on XO ?)

We might need to add an exception to the SecurityPlugin allowing to
read from the po path. On the XO we don't really have to enable it,
but the same translations should work on the regular etoys.